Monday 20 August 2012

Conferences

My feet have barely touched the ground but my head is buzzing with strategems and solutions.

The RWAustralia conference on the Gold Coast was amazing and brilliant and overwhelming and tiring and inspiring. Sometimes all five at once. Writing is a solitary endeavour, and I love it. Then a conference comes along and suddenly I'm in the midst of 350 people. By Sunday afternoon I had to have a lie down!

I took my fun new YA project and presented it to an agent and two publishers, and they all liked my premise and asked me to send them chapters. Three for three. Yeah, I am chuffed. (But, y'know, not arrogant. Arrogant is so unappealing. And don't get me started on obnoxious.)

What did I take with me?
*Copies of Ondine - which I sold and donated.
*Loads of clothes (dress-ups for the 50s-themes cocktail party, glamour for the awards night)
Always read the instructions!
*George the Ferret. He's a wonderful travelling companion, and he pays attention when they do the safety message on the plane.



What did I take back?
*A confidence boost. Three for three!
*A head crammed with newfound knowledge
*Memories of wonderful times with friends
*Loads more books - sweet heavens, so many fabulous books!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Yay! I knew they'd love it. Congratulations on the requests. My fingers are crossed! And I LOVE your travel companion. ;)

Ebony McKenna. said...

Thanks so much Heather. My head is still spinning. I think it's going to take me a few days before things start to make sense again.