Thursday 20 February 2014

Public Service Announcement.

Now for something completely different.
A warning about asbestos that could be in your home, that could give you cancer if handled the wrong way.

Asbestos is a building material that has wonderful heat-resistant properties. It was used extensively in  homes and industry until the early 1980s. When it's solid, it's fine. Alas, when it becomes fibrous and the particles become airborne, the fibres can lodge in your lungs and lead to mesothelioma cancer.

For my friends in the USA, here is a handy info graphic to check over before you think about doing any renovations and repairs.
Check out this link and be informed about the dangers.

"But hang on, this is nothing about writing," You say.

And I say, "No, it's not, but it's pretty important and I have something to say and this is my blog so ner ner ne ner ner."

And also, when I was a kid in the 70s, my dad pulled down our old shed and I used the 'plaster' to draw hopscotch on the footpath. It wasn't actually plaster, it was asbestos sheeting and therefore scraping it on the concrete path would have released fibres I most likely breathed in. They could be sitting there in my lungs, like a ticking time bomb, just ready to give me Mesothelioma cancer.

Which means I really must get on with finishing Ondine 4, right? It wouldn't be fair to the fans to get cancer and die before then.

I've already had cancer and got on to it early. But I had bowel cancer, which is curable with surgery. Mesothelioma is incurable. That freaking sucks

For my friends in Australia, check out Asbestoswise.com.au for all you need to know.

We get our own infographic as well, which looks a lot more like an Australian house.


For everyone else, type 'asbestos information' and your country into a search engine and get the knowledge.

Now if you'll excuse me, I really must crack on with Ondine 4!

No comments: