Tuesday 5 February 2013

Paperwork Update

If writing novels is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration, then selling them is 10% marketing and 90% utter confusion.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm used to doing things in a set order.

If I want to sell a product, I figure I should do it thusly:
1. Make Product
2. Get Taxes/Paperwork In Order so it's all official
3. Sell Product

Not so in the USA. In the USA, my experience is I need to swap 3 & 2 around.

The lovely tax expert I've been dealing with in Canada (which is a tautology because all Canadians are lovely. You're welcome,) advised me that until I have an active account with Amazon (ie, selling my ebooks to readers in the US) the IRS will reject my ITIN application.

This kind of logic makes me feel like I have to sell the books first, then apply to the IRS for the ITIN, which means the company paying me money (in this case, Amazon) can pay me the full amount without having to withhold tax.

Oh yes, and the IRS can take between 6 - 8 weeks to process the application. Then they may reject it. I've heard from writer friends that they can and do reject applications, sometimes without giving any reason.

I need to eat another curry pie to soothe my nerves.

2 comments:

Heather said...

More curry pie is definitely called for. Yep, taxes and publishing in the U.S. leave a bit to be desired. Hang in there and let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

Ebony McKenna. said...

Oh you're wonderful.
I'll keep blogging any progress here. I'm sure I'll find some humour in the mundane.
(Or I'll simply go bonkers)