Saturday 2 February 2013

Turning Points



I adore this scene. Scarlett begging for money, trying to disguise how she so desperately needs it.
She lies, she tries telling a bit of truth, then the whole truth, then she offers to become his mistress (it's not actually said here, merely implied) . . . and all for nothing.

I used it to illustrate the Staircase of Turning Points. I'll be running a similar breakout session, called Navigating The Markers, at the RWA Conference at Fremantle in August.

I'm writing a scene where one of the characters has to eat humble pie and ask relatives for money. It's uncomfortable to write, because I know it's going to end badly.
I'm using the essence of great turning points (like in the scene above) to keep the scene moving forward.

Turning points are absolutely marvellous, and are used to best effect when both characters bring their (opposing) agendas to a scene, and both want to get their own way. It often ends in tears, just like Scarlett's.

Just as the scene cuts out, Rhett says, "Cheer up, you can come to my hanging and I'll remember you in my will."

Scarlett says, "I'll come to your hanging. The only thing I'm afraid of is they won't hang you in time to pay the taxes on Tara."

No comments: